Cosmetology Basics for Beginners
Have you ever wondered what Cosmetology is? Do you enjoy styling hair, or applying makeup and nail techniques on others? Cosmetologists specialize in many aspects of beauty, such as cutting and coloring hair, hair styling, skincare and makeup application. A career in Cosmetology could be a fantastic way to turn a passion for all things beauty into a meaningful, rewarding career. Read on to see what Cosmetology is all about!
What do Cosmetologists do?
A cosmetologist is a beauty professional who works with clients to help them customize their hair, makeup, skincare, or nail looks. Cosmetologists often provide advice and suggestions for their clients in order to enhance their current look or to help people with overall makeovers.
Common services Cosmetologists may offer include cutting and styling hair, coloring and lightening hair, providing makeup services, performing skin treatments, such as chemical peels and microdermabrasions, and offering manicures and pedicures. Cosmetologists could also clean and style wigs and hairpieces. Many cosmetologists also recommend hair care products or salon hair care products to their clients¹.
Training for a career as a Cosmetologist offers students the opportunity to train in a wide variety of industry-current topics. A Cosmetologist may perform the following services, once licensed and employed:
Hair Care Services
Cosmetologists who seek employment as hairdressers may perform the following hair services such as:
- Evaluating and analyzing clients’ hair to recommend treatments, color and style
- Wash, cut, color, bleach, and style many different types of hair
- Apply chemicals to treat, color, and/or texturize hair
- Clean and disinfect all tools, equipment and work areas¹
Cosmetologists may also offer clients skincare services, such as:
- Chemical peels
- Makeup application and analysis
Cosmetologists can also offer clients nail services, including:
- Nail Tips and Wraps
- Acrylic and Gel Nails
- Nail art and designs
Where Do Cosmetologists Work?
Cosmetologists have several options when it comes to places of employment. They can be found in a variety of locations, including salons, spas, resorts, and hotels. Some Cosmetologists manage salons or open their own shop after several years of experience². According to the bureau of labor statistics, the employment of cosmetologists is projected to grow 19 percent from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations³. These favorable job outlook projections, and the fact that there are opportunities for self-employment, make Cosmetology a favorable career prospect.
Steps to Becoming a Cosmetologist
Obtaining a license is a requirement to becoming a Cosmetologist. In order to pursue a Cosmetology license, candidates must complete the following steps:
- Graduate from a state-approved beauty school after successfully completing the required hours of training needed by your state board of cosmetology.
- Take the state board exam and pass.
- Apply for a license in Cosmetology.
After these steps are completed, and the Cosmetology license has been obtained, then the employment search for a Cosmetologist position can begin!
Who Should Pursue a Cosmetology Career?
Anyone who is creative, is passionate about beauty, keeps up with the latest trends in hair, makeup and skincare, enjoys working with people, and is detail-oriented may be a good candidate to become a Cosmetologist. A Cosmetologist possesses these basic qualities4:
- Creativity-the ability to bring a vision to life for a client and to keep up with the latest trends in beauty is key for a Cosmetologist
- Excellent customer service skills-Cosmetologist need to be friendly and patient and have good people skills to keep clients returning for services
- Physical stamina-working as a Cosmetologist requires a lot of time standing for extended periods of time
- Cleanliness-it’s important for Cosmetologists to maintain a neat personal appearance, and keep their work area neat, clean, and sanitized
- Time management skills-Cosmetologists need to balance multiple appointments, often back-to-back, so it is important to effectively manage their time and keep on schedule.
Becoming a Cosmetologist can be very rewarding, particularly if you have a passion for working with people and helping them build their self-esteem by enhancing their appearance.
The Cosmetology program at Blue Cliff College offers comprehensive Cosmetology courses to prepare you for a fulfilling career in the beauty industry. Through our hands-on training modules and industry-current classes taught by experienced instructors, you could take your cosmetology skills to the next level. Our simulated student salons will give you hands-on training in hair, nails, skin, multicultural techniques, hair cutting and coloring, and makeup techniques.
Blue Cliff College’s Cosmetology program makes scheduling time for classes easy. We offer flexible training with our day and night class options. Don’t delay! Visit our Cosmetology information page today to get started!